CHARLOTTE, MECKLENBURG COUNTY - An 11-year-old Cleveland County girl accidentally fatally shot her 19-year-old stepfather, after he handed her his new handgun.
The Charlotte Observer reports that Bryan Reno died in his home outside of Mooresboro after being shot in the chest about 10:45 p.m. Friday.
Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman says Reno bought the gun less than 24 hours earlier. The sheriff says Reno showed the gun to his stepdaughter as he 35-year-old wife Pamela Reno was sleeping.
Norman says Reno removed the magazine slide from the .380-caliber gun but he apparently failed to check the chamber. The girl pulled the trigger as she examined the gun, and it discharged.
The sheriff doesn't expect anyone to be charged.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend