EMERALD ISLE, CARTERET COUNTY - A Carteret County firefighter has been charged for allegedly driving while impaired with a child in the vehicle.
Richard Dean Weippert Sr., a senior fire engineer of the Emerald Isle Fire Department, was driving in the Down East area of Carteret County when he was arrested on Monday. According to the Sheriff's Office, Weippert had a child with him in the vehicle.
Investigators said Weippert had schedule IV substances, which are drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence.
Weippert has been charged with DWI, simple possession of a schedule IV controlled substance, and misdemeanor child abuse, said deputies. He was issued a $2,500 bond and was scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 17.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple says 'I do'
- Updated Donald Trump: Mika must apologize for 'gang attack' on Pastor Mark Burns