WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Deputies responded to a home on Baker Drive in Washington on Sunday night, where they found a victim stabbed in the abdomen.
The suspect was then identified as 41-year-old Jose Lavastida. He was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He was held in the Beaufort County Detention Center on a $20,000 secured bond.
The victim was taken to Vidant Beaufort Hospital and was then transferred to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.
Alcohol use by the victim and the suspect appears to have been a contributing factor in the incident, according to authorities.
Officials said the victim was expected to make a full recovery.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms