CRAVEN COUNTY - A local woman is accused of stealing thousands of dollars from a church.
Samantha Hines, 29, embezzled over $5,000 from Queen Chapel Free Will Baptist Church in Vanceboro, according to Craven County deputies.
Hines, of Mile Road in Vanceboro, is charged with embezzlement by a public officer or trustee.
"People pay their tithes... [they] work hard for their money," said Billy Ray Whitley, who attended the church in the past.
"That's bad," Whitley said of the embezzlement accusations.
Hines served as the financial secretary for the church, according to investigators.
A message left for Hines was not returned.
The embezzlement occurred earlier this year, deputies said.
Deputies arrested Hines in late December.
- Updated Number of vehicle and apartment break-ins reported in Greenville
- Updated A local family's battle with addiction
- Updated US calls Philippines President's Hitler comments 'troubling'
- Worried about fake bank accounts in your name?
- Updated El Cajon police release video of fatal officer-involved shooting