NEWPORT, CARTERET COUNTY - Carteret County deputies bust a meth lab in Newport.
Deputies arrested Christopher Lee Byrd, 27, and Chelsea Rae Lewis, 23, of 134 Croatan Drive in Newport on Tuesday. Detectives say they received information on the couple's illegal activities and went to the suspects' home. Once there, deputies found evidence of an active meth lab.
After interviewing Byrd and Lewis, detectives found an additional methamphetamine lab in a wooded area off of Lake Road. At that point, agents with the North
Carolina State Bureau of Investigation were called in and seized, processed, and recovered chemicals from the meth labs and transported the dangerous items to a disposal facility.
Christopher Lee Byrd is charged with Manufacturing Methamphetamine, Possession of Methamphetamine Precursors, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Byrd also has numerous outstanding drug warrants out of Onslow Count for Trafficking Methamphetamine. Byrd is in the Carteret County Jail under a $600,000 bond.
Chelsea Rae Lewis was charged with Possession of Methamphetamine precursors and was placed in the Carteret County Jail under a $100,000 secured bond.
Both Byrd and Lewis have already had their first court appearance.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew