NEWPORT, CARTERET COUNTY - Carteret County deputies bust a meth lab in Newport.
Deputies arrested Christopher Lee Byrd, 27, and Chelsea Rae Lewis, 23, of 134 Croatan Drive in Newport on Tuesday. Detectives say they received information on the couple's illegal activities and went to the suspects' home. Once there, deputies found evidence of an active meth lab.
After interviewing Byrd and Lewis, detectives found an additional methamphetamine lab in a wooded area off of Lake Road. At that point, agents with the North
Carolina State Bureau of Investigation were called in and seized, processed, and recovered chemicals from the meth labs and transported the dangerous items to a disposal facility.
Christopher Lee Byrd is charged with Manufacturing Methamphetamine, Possession of Methamphetamine Precursors, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Byrd also has numerous outstanding drug warrants out of Onslow Count for Trafficking Methamphetamine. Byrd is in the Carteret County Jail under a $600,000 bond.
Chelsea Rae Lewis was charged with Possession of Methamphetamine precursors and was placed in the Carteret County Jail under a $100,000 secured bond.
Both Byrd and Lewis have already had their first court appearance.
- Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- New labels warn against mixing opioids, benzodiazepines
- Mark Zuckerberg's visit gives Nigerian startups much-needed boost
- Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father-in-law