GREENE COUNTY - Deputies have arrested a suspect in a Greene County shooting that killed a man over the weekend. In addition, the victim's friends were injured in a crash while rushing the victim to the hospital, investigators said.
Kwanzi Ormond, of Greenville, was taken into custody on Monday and has been charged with an open count of murder, according to his arrest report.
Ormond allegedly shot and killed Cecil Devon Blount outside Showtime Sports, on the 4200 block of Appie Road near Walstonburg, said Greene County Sheriff Lemmie Smith. Deputies got the call at about 2:45 a.m. Saturday.
The shooting happened after a fight erupted among a large group of people outside the bar, Sheriff Smith told NewsChannel 12. Deputies are still looking into an exact motive.
Blount's friends, Brandon Barfield and James Wade, tried to rush the victim to a hospital, Sheriff Smith said. But their car crashed into a tree near the corner of Mercer Road and School House Road.
Blount, who was in his 20s, died from his gunshot wound, not the crash, Sheriff Smith said. Both Barfield and Wade were taken to a hospital, but their conditions were not available.
Ormond was being held under no bond, the arrest report stated. His court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 23.
- New Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte
- Manchester attack: Hunt for possible 2nd bomb under way