CRAVEN COUNTY - The court system will decide whether a Craven County woman is responsible for the death of more than a dozen of her neighbor's chickens.
"It was kind of horrifying" to find the slain chickens, said Ronnie Jones, whose family raises the chickens at their home on Gladewood Circle near Bridgeton.
Jones says his neighbor's dog got into the chickens' pen and killed more than a dozen of the birds last week.
Jones' family sells the chickens' eggs, so the loss is costing them money.
The neighbor, Brittany, disagrees with Jones and says the chickens were in her yard.
Brittany asked that her last name not be used.
"[There are] chickens running around the neighborhood, what do they expect?" Brittany asked.
Jones and his family members say that, while the chickens roamed in the past, the chickens that were killed in this incident were in their pen.
Brittany alleges her neighbors shot and killed the dog in retaliation for the chicken attack.
Jones' family denies that charge.
A hearing on the case is scheduled for next month.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn