NEWPORT - (AP) - The National Weather Service is warning of the possibility of coastal flooding in Dare County into next week.
The Weather Service office in Newport says the advisory is in effect until 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Forecasters say winds, dune erosion and high tide will create overwash on N.C. 12 north of Cape Hatteras. The weather service says water is expected on the road a few hours before and after high tides.
The highway was badly damaged by Superstorm Sandy and has been closed at times since the storm.
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Greater New Bern Business Expo attracts thousands
- Updated Five years since Hurricane Irene made landfall in Eastern Carolina
- Updated Funeral for mother and three children murdered in Greenville
- In presidential elections, size doesn't always matter