NEW BERN - Jim Dancy, Republican nominee for N.C. House District 12, issued a statement following the announcement of the death of Representative William Wainwright. Dancy said he's suspending his campaign for 10 days out of respect for Wainwright's family.
"The Dancy family would like to extend their heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Representative Wainwright," Jim Dancy said Wednesday. "He was a dedicated public servant and will be missed. We will be suspending our campaign for 10 days to honors the Representative's service to North Carolina. Right now, our attention needs to focus on respecting the Wainwright family."
Dancy, who resides in River Bend, is challenger to the seat held by Wainwright.
A caretaker for Wainwright said he died just before 6 p.m. Tuesday at Carolina East Medical Center in New Bern. Sheila Godette says Wainwright had medical issues arise in the past two or three months, including heart problems.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response