RALEIGH - (AP) - Walter Dalton's gubernatorial campaign has asked North Carolina election officials to investigate whether Pat McCrory's campaign reported unlawful payments for a flight for South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley to attend McCrory events in September.
Dalton formally complained Wednesday to the State Board of Elections, as attorney Jerry Meek questioned if almost $2,500 of contributions from a Fayetteville couple for the flight are actually illegal corporate donations. Meek also says there's nothing in McCrory's latest campaign finance report about Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who attended McCrory events, too.
McCrory campaign spokesman Brian Nick calls the complaint frivolous and the campaign activities were handled according to state law. Nick said the Republican Governors Association was responsible for Walker's flight.
The board's executive director says the complaint will be considered after the election.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump