CHARLOTTE - A crossing guard at an Iredell County middle school is dead after he was struck and killed by a car after classes had dismissed for the day.
The Charlotte Observer reports that Frank Booth, 59, died Wednesday. The N.C. Highway Patrol said Booth was hit just after 3 p.m. in front of Mount Mourne Middle School. Booth was flown to an area hospital, where he died.
Mount Mourne principal Boen Nutting said Booth had been a crossing guard for 2 1/2 years after retiring from a public works career. Nutting said Booth directed traffic at an elementary school near the border with Mecklenburg County, then went to Mount Mourne, which has a later start and dismissal time.
The district attorney is trying to determine if charges will be filed.
- Updated Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday
- Zip line fall leaves Delaware woman dead
- Crews battle fire in unoccupied Greenville apartment
- Updated Clinton: Trump leading 'hate movement'; Trump: Clinton a 'bigot'