KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A fire erupted at a Lenoir County mobile home that had several pets inside, authorities said.
The home, located on Cobb Rd., just south of Kinston, caught fire before 1 p.m. Monday. According to Daniel Davis, the assistant fire chief at Southwood Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department, three dogs and a bird were inside when the blaze started. They were all rescued.
"I thought my mom's little dog was dead because he was at the back door. The rest of them were at the other end of the house," said Kassandra Hollis, the homeowner's daughter. "But he was the one that was closest to the door."
However, two rooms at the mobile home were destroyed, firefighters said. They determined that cigarettes caused the fire.
Hollis told NewsChannel 12 that she was dropping off cupcakes at her daughter's school when the blaze happened.
- Updated Southwest pilots reach tentative deal with airline after 4 years of talks
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings