FALKLAND, PITT COUNTY - The Falkland Fire Department in Pitt County has found the body of a swimmer who went missing during July Fourth festivities. Friends say 51-year-old Kenneth Skaggs of New Bern was last seen swimming near a boat ramp Friday afternoon.
Saturday morning dive teams pulled Skaggs body from the Tar River near a boat ramp on Highway 222. Fire Chief William Proctor said the search spanned miles but the victim was found just feet from where the search began.
"We had gone by there I don't know how many times with the sonar we had gone through with our boats to try to find him, we just didn't find anything until they had looked up and found him," said Proctor.
Skagg's family and friends who swim in The Tar River often say the river's current was strong and Skagg's may have been drinking alcohol before he started swimming.
- Updated Clinton subject of new Trump campaign apparel
- Updated Judge blocks UNC from enforcing 'bathroom bill' against 3 plaintiffs
- Updated Facebook ditches humans in favor of algorithms for trending news
- What has changed since the WDBJ shooting one year ago
- Calls grow for U.S. government to spend more