Two people escaped a fire at their Pitt County home Friday morning that left the residence uninhabitable.
The blaze happened at about 3:09 a.m. Friday on Terra Dell Lane, off Avon Road between Simpson and Grimesland.
According to fire officials, two people were in the home at the time. They told authorities they woke up to massive amounts of smoke in their bedroom, but managed to escape while their house was on fire.
Officials said the fire started in a lower floor bedroom. There was a space heater in the room, but there was no word on whether that caused the fire.
The home has been ruled as uninhabitable. The fire marshal and the Pitt County Sheriff's Office are investigating.