CRAVEN COUNTY - A mobile home fire, about 1,000 feet behind West Craven Middle School, has been ruled as suspicious.
According to Craven County dispatchers, they got the call at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday about the blaze at the intersection of Pate Road and Dean Drive, between New Bern and Vanceboro.
No one was inside the home at the time of the blaze and no injuries were reported, said Ira Whitford, the assistant director of Craven County Emergency Services. But the fire reignited at about 5 a.m. It has since been put out.
Whitford said he believed someone set the fire, but did not know whether it was intentional. The building had been abandoned for several years.
"Fear really hit me... that was too close for comfort," said Debbie Thompson, who lives near the scene and watched the flames.
- New BREAKING NEWS: Man stabbed by girlfriend in New Bern
- Updated Blast near Bogota bullring injures 31, many of them police, reports say
- Updated Limbaugh on the news media: 'They're enemies of Trump'
- State high school basketball playoff pairings released
- Police search for suspect in deaths of Indiana teens who vanished on hike