CRAVEN COUNTY - A mobile home fire, about 1,000 feet behind West Craven Middle School, has been ruled as suspicious.
According to Craven County dispatchers, they got the call at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday about the blaze at the intersection of Pate Road and Dean Drive, between New Bern and Vanceboro.
No one was inside the home at the time of the blaze and no injuries were reported, said Ira Whitford, the assistant director of Craven County Emergency Services. But the fire reignited at about 5 a.m. It has since been put out.
Whitford said he believed someone set the fire, but did not know whether it was intentional. The building had been abandoned for several years.
"Fear really hit me... that was too close for comfort," said Debbie Thompson, who lives near the scene and watched the flames.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump