NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A Craven County couple lost several classic sports cars, trucks and other items in a garage fire.
The blaze happened just after 5 p.m. Tuesday at a garage behind a home on Sanders Lane, located off Highway 55 near New Bern, said Assistant Emergency Services Director Ira Whitford.
Diana and Dave Coonts live at the home. Neighbor Willis Haynes said Dave acted quickly when he first saw the flames.
"He heard it pop and he looked out the back window, and he saw his garage was on fire. So he ran out there with a water hose. But it was too late," Haynes said.
The fire destroyed the Coonts' Mustang, Corvette, Ford pickup, Chevy pickup, golf cart, two ATVs, several gas-powered model airplanes, and mechanical tools, Whitford said. The garage itself was a total loss as well.
No one was hurt, Whitford added.
"I'm sorry that it happened. But I'm glad they are alright," said Mary Lewis, Dave Coont's sister. "It's going to take time to get things back together again."
The fire caused some vinyl siding on the Coonts' home to melt, Whitford said. But the home did not suffer any other damage.
The cause of the fire was unknown.
- Updated Local pharmacist recommends ways to save on EpiPens
- Updated Chicago police move to fire officers in Laquan McDonald shooting
- Updated NBA rookies say Kinston's Ingram will have best career
- Updated Trump lifts ban on media outlets, at least for pool duty
- New Silver alert issued for missing Washington woman