CARLSBAD, N.M. - Authorities say a Carlsbad woman burned down her own house after claiming to hear noises in the attic.
The Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that 33-year-old Valerie Hernandez was arrested last week after a nearly six-month investigation.
According to police, Hernandez moved into the home in March and told police she never liked living there because she believed someone was living in the attic and had bugged the house to listen to her conversations.
Hernandez admitted buying lighter fluid but told police she just dropped the lighter fluid by the front door. Police say she repeatedly asked authorities if the person in the attic had died during the fire.
No one was hurt in the blaze.
Police say fire originated on a mattress.
It was unclear if Hernandez had an attorney.
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person
- Updated Perez promises to be Trump's 'worst nightmare'