CARLSBAD, N.M. - Authorities say a Carlsbad woman burned down her own house after claiming to hear noises in the attic.
The Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that 33-year-old Valerie Hernandez was arrested last week after a nearly six-month investigation.
According to police, Hernandez moved into the home in March and told police she never liked living there because she believed someone was living in the attic and had bugged the house to listen to her conversations.
Hernandez admitted buying lighter fluid but told police she just dropped the lighter fluid by the front door. Police say she repeatedly asked authorities if the person in the attic had died during the fire.
No one was hurt in the blaze.
Police say fire originated on a mattress.
It was unclear if Hernandez had an attorney.
- Updated WHO: Americas officially free from measles
- Updated The Fed under attack, but still profitable for taxpayers
- Updated Laundromat with a classroom: Charleston's outreach to underserved kids
- Updated Trooper offers to drive grieving man 100 miles after traffic stop
- Updated Tip-Off tournament moved from Puerto Rico to Florida