A teenager is recovering after shooting himself in the genitals while cleaning his gun, according to police in Florida.
WTSP-TV in Port St. Lucie, Fla., reported that 18-year-old Michael Smeriglio shot himself in crotch with a gun that he'd recently bought at a party.
The station reported that the bullet went through Smeriglio's penis and left testicle before lodging into his thigh.
Police said that the teen at first lied about how he got shot, saying that someone shot him. Upon further investigation, Smeriglio admitted to being the one responsible for the injury.
Adding insult to injury, while police were helping Smeriglio, they found marijuana at that house. The homeowner, 22-year-old Jospeh Lamar James, was arrested and now faces drug charges, WTSP-TV reported.
Read WTSP-TV's report here.
- Updated Special Weather Statement
- Updated Mark Cuban: My players can join national anthem protest
- Updated Pence debate prep: More traditional than Trump's, practicing with Scott Walker
- Updated CDC releases new guidance on Zika and sex
- Updated Howard Dean apologizes for 'innuendo' in cocaine comments