RALEIGH, N.C. - A Greensboro author who is a critic of same-sex marriage and has written an article calling President Barack Obama a dictator has been named to the UNC-TV Board of Trustees.
The North Carolina Legislature approved Orson Scott Card's appointment to the board in July.
Card told The Associated Press that he supports public television and decided to join the UNC-TV board because it does great work for the people of North Carolina.
A news release from UNC-TV mentions Card's most famous books, "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead." It does not mention his column earlier this year saying Obama might train urban gangs to commit violence on his enemies.
Card says he hopes people will read his full essays and not rely on what he called deliberately distorted reports.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal