A controlled burn in the Croatan National Forest created a smoke show in the sky Saturday.
The U.S. Forest Service planned to burn a little more than 500 acres as part of the prescribed burn, according to a news release.
The target area was in Craven County, off Lake Road and Miller Boulevard in Havelock.
The goal was to reduce the amount of fuel available for any future wildfires.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County