Lenoir County investigators have arrested a contractor they say conned money from a woman.
Steve Allen Barfield, 43, of La Grange, is charged with felony obtaining property by false pretense. Sheriff's investigators say Barfield accepted $1,583 from a woman he led to believe that he was authorized to make employment decisions for an apartment complex. Barfield allegedly required the woman to pay for workers insurance before she began employment. But the woman was never hired.
Barfield had already been served with numerous counts of the same charge by Kinston Public Safety. His total bond is $50,000.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte