Brett McMurphy, ESPN - East Carolina defensive coordinator Brian Mitchell, who also was the Pirates' secondary coach, was fired Thursday.
Mitchell joined coach Ruffin McNeill's staff on Jan. 25, 2010, after spending four years as cornerbacks coach at Texas Tech and 11 seasons prior to that as an assistant at alma mater Brigham Young.
"There's never a good time to make a coaching change, especially one that involves a friend and colleague who I respect professionally," McNeill said said in a statement. "However, I have the responsibility and commitment to maintain the best interest for this program and East Carolina University."
East Carolina finished 8-5 this season (7-1 in Conference USA) after losing to Louisiana-Lafayette in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.
- Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Updated Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her
- Updated John Krasinski on 'The Hollars': I 'stole' a trick from George Clooney
- Updated Bangladeshi police: Dhaka terror attack planner killed