NEW BERN - According to construction workers, plans for a Cracker Barrel in New Bern are on track.
Construction to fill the retention pond outside the New Bern Mall is close to being complete, according to Shawn Lather, the owner of L&W construction. Lather said the land passed certification Monday, which means it is stable enough to build on.
"The material has passed compaction and it's already been approved that it's suitable material," Lather said.
Lather's crews have been working on the site since construction began in May. Now that the foundation has been tested, workers will remove six feet of material from the foundation before building can begin. That process is expected to begin this week.
According to the city inspections office, Cracker Barrel submitted building plans for the property last month, but a restaurant spokesperson said a property lease has not be signed. The spokesperson would not comment on when a lease is expected to be signed, but said the landlord is still preparing the land.
Groundwork on the property should be complete within the next two months. Construction on the building is expected to begin soon after that.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend