MOREHEAD CITY - The debate of safety at schools is part of a statewide community forum. A traveling forum made a stop at Morehead City Primary School Wednesday night.
This is an initiative started by Governor Pat McCrory's office.He created the center for safer schools...in an effort to bring citizens and leaders in the community together to talk about ways to tackle issues such as bullying, gangs, the safety measures for buildings, even concerns of mental health in the classroom.
The goal is to bring citizens and leaders in the community together to talk about ways to tackle important issues.
Secretary for the Department of Public Safety Kieran Shanahan told the audience that it will take more than just officers standing guard at schools.
"We realize there's no one group there's no one person who's responsible for it, cause we all are," said Shanahan. "The physical facility is just part of it. If we don't have an honest discussion about mental health, we're missing the mark."
All of the concerns discussed were recorded for the Governor to review. McCrory is suggest that people write the department of public safety with concerns. The Center for Safer Schools Tour will continue its tour until May 2nd. The next stop is in Boone, North Carolina.
- Updated Reports: Leaders of Oregon standoff acquitted
- LAPD: Suspect in custody over Donald Trump's Hollywood star vandalism
- Trump: 'We should just cancel the election' and declare me the winner
- Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew