CAMP LEJEUNE, ONSLOW COUNTY - The commander of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit was removed from his position, Marine Corps officials said.
The Marine Corps Times reported Col. James Christmas was relieved of command Wednesday by Maj. Gen. Raymond Fox, the commander of II Marine Expeditionary Force, after the general lost confidence in Christmas' ability to continue commanding the Marines and sailors of the 22nd MEU.
No additional explanation was given for the decision.
Christmas became the commander of the 22nd MEU on June 28, 2012, replacing Col. Eric Steidl. Christmas also served as the commander of the Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response.
- Updated Southwest pilots reach tentative deal with airline after 4 years of talks
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings