HICKORY, N.C. - A Georgia student at Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory has drowned after jumping into a lake at a park in Hickory.
Officials said 19-year-old Vince Njoku from Woodstock, Georgia, died Monday afternoon while swimming with a group of friends in Lake Hickory.
Officials were called around 5:30 p.m. Monday to Geitner-Rotary Park. Divers found Njoku's body in about 13 feet of water around 7 p.m.
Dean of students Katie Fisher said students who need help can go to the Cornerstone Center at Lenoir-Rhyne.
Njoku had been a running back for Lenoir-Rhyne. Coach Ian Shields issued a statement saying the Njoku was a loved teammate and will be missed both by the team and by the campus.
- New Tropical Storm Matthew forms in the Caribbean could have impacts to Eastern North Carolina
- Updated 'Cat man' of Aleppo takes in hundreds of abandoned cats
- Updated Gutierrez: 'Women are watching' Donald Trump's Miss Universe issue
- End of an era: BlackBerry will stop making its own phones
- Aetna insurance will subsidize the Apple Watch