CAPE HATTERAS - The U.S. Coast Guard has released its report of the 2012 sinking of the HMS Bounty off Cape Hatteras.
The investigation faults the captain and management of the ship for sailing into Hurricane Sandy in poor conditions and with an inexperienced crew. The captain and one crew member died in the accident.
The report says the HMS Bounty organization chose to meet only the minimum standards of a recreational vessel, not tougher requirements of a passenger ship. The ship was built for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty."
The report recommends the U.S. Coast Guard review its policy on the operation of such show vessels.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County