PORTSMOUTH, Va. - The Coast Guard medevaced an 81-year-old man Saturday from the Norwegian Cruise Lines' ship Breakaway, a 1,063-foot cruise ship, approximately 55 miles southwest of Cape Hatteras, N.C., according to a Coast Guard news release.
The captain of the Norwegian Breakaway contacted Coast Guard 5th District Command Center watchstanders at approximately 4 a.m., reporting a man was suffering from heart-attack symptoms and was in need of assistance.
Command center watchstanders dispatched a crew aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to assist.
The Jayhawk helicopter crew arrived on scene, hoisted the man into the helicopter and took him to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk, where he was determined to be in stable condition.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County