PAMLICO COUNTY - The Coast Guard is treating an unconfirmed mayday call received Saturday evening from a boat in Pamlico County as a hoax.
The search on the Neuse River near Dawson's Creek has been suspended for now, a spokesperson said.
A helicopter from Elizabeth City and a small boat from the station in Hobucken were part of the search.
The search will resume if officials deem it necessary.
- Updated Tornado watch continues for most of Eastern NC
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal