ALBEMARLE SOUND - Authorities have recovered the body of a man who reportedly fell overboard from a boat in the Albemarle Sound, the Coast Guard announced Monday.
A Hertford County sonar team located the body and a Perquimans County dive team recovered it, according to the Coast Guard. The victim's identity has not been released.
The search for the victim started Sunday, when a motorist driving on the Highway 32 bridge near Edenton reported seeing the man fell overboard from a 39-foot boat in the Albemarle Sound, the Coast Guard stated. The call came in at about 11:30 a.m.
Two MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters and a 25-foot boat from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City were deployed to search for the victim.
A good Samaritan located the 39-foot boat anchored with only a dog aboard.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating