RALEIGH, N.C. - Prosecutors say a 34-year-old Raleigh man lured his ex-girlfriend to her death by exploiting the love she had for their children.
Closing arguments were held Friday in the murder trial of Grant Hayes.
Authorities say he killed his former girlfriend Laura Ackerson, of Kinston, in July 2011 because he did not want to pay child support, then dismembered her body, packed it in four coolers and drove to Richmond, Texas, where he dumped the remains. Prosecutors say Hayes asked Ackerman to come to his home to discuss child support.
Hayes' lawyer says prosecutors never proved Hayes killed Ackerson and said he only disposed of the body to help out his wife. She is also charged in the killing, but hasn't been tried.
The jury will begin deliberating Monday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Women's golf tournament will stay at Trump-owned course -- for now
- New Self-driving truck hauls 51,744 cans of beer
- Updated Donald Trump says he will dramatically ramp up donations in final stretch of campaign
- Updated Administration pushes back on criticism of Obamacare rate hikes
- Updated Governor tours storm damage, celebrates openig of Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston