A surge arrester failure was to blame for a blackout that affected much of downtown Kinston Wednesday night, the city manager said.
About 2,000 customers were left in the dark when the outage happened at about 7:30 p.m, said City Manager Tony Sears. Power had since been restored for the area.
City officials were working to figure out what caused the malfunction to the arrester, which was basically a surge protector for the power system, Sears said. Investigators were expected to figure out a cause by Thursday.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte