GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) - Newport native Lonnie Chisenhall has been optioned to Triple-A Columbus. The former Pitt Community College and K-Tribe star battled .205 this spring. He was the Indians' top draft pick in 2008.
Matt LaPorta, the key player acquired by the Cleveland Indians in a 2008 trade with Milwaukee for CC Sabathia, was also sent down to the minor leagues. LaPorta hit .167 with two RBIs in 14 games this spring. The first baseman, outfielder Michael Brantley and pitchers Zach Jackson and Rob Bryson were obtained for 2007 Cy Young award winner Sabathia in July 2008. Expected to be a power bat in the middle of the order, LaPorta has struggled in parts of three years for Cleveland, batting just .238 in 269 games, with 30 homers and 115 RBIs. Cleveland still has 43 players in major league camp.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Trump spreads claim that Clinton's 'mentor' was 'KKK member'
- Updated ISIS video shows boys executing prisoners
- Nate Parker on 'toxic masculinity,' consent and 'male privilege'