MOUNT OLIVE - Wayne County Deputies said the owner of the Mount Olive Chinese Restaurant and his son were robbed as they arrived home.
Officials said five masked men forced the father and son inside their home on Tarheel Drive on Tuesday night with an unknown weapon. One of the victims was hit with the weapon and they were robbed of an undisclosed amount of money.
Authorities said there have been 13 similar robberies in recent months targeting Asian community members and they believe they're all connected. Last week, the owner of a Japanese restaurant in Winterville was targeted in a home invasion.
Deputies said there have been other Asian victims in Kinston, Tarboro, Washington, Goldsboro, Wilson, and Roanoke Rapids.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn