HAVELOCK, CRAVEN COUNTY - As thousands of people come out to attend the 2014 Cherry Point Air Show, business owners say they are expecting a boom in business.
In the past, more than 250,000 people have turned out for the air show over the three day span, said a Havelock city official.
Businesses in Havelock say with foot traffic that large, the local economy will benefit.
Andy Patel is the co-owner of the Sherwood Motel in Havelock. Patel has been running the motel for 16 years and says some of the biggest business he gets is from the air show.
Patel says he's seen a fifty percent increase in business because of the air show.
"It's a great thing for businesses in the area," Patel said. "People come from all around the country, all across from Eastern Carolina," Patel said. "It's a really good thing for us and we welcome the event."
The owner of Texas BBQ in Havelock, Jim Price, also welcomes the event. It's the restaurants first air show weekend, and they have been preparing extra food in anticipation of big crowds.
"The number of people coming in from out-of-town will come right past our restaurant," Price siad. "So we hope they'll see our sign and eat with us."
The air show will run from Friday to Sunday.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend