CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The chief of Charlotte-Mecklenburg police is contradicting an attorney's account of the fatal shooting of an unarmed man by one of its officers.
The Charlotte Observer reports (http://bit.ly/18Ah2Ft) that Chief Rodney Monroe spoke with the newspaper's editorial board on Wednesday. In revealing new details of the shooting, Monroe said a Taser fired by a second officer missed 24-year-old Jonathan Ferrell.
Monroe also told the editorial board that the first shots were fired from "a couple of feet," and there was physical contact between Officer Randall Kerrick and Ferrell after the first shots had been fired.
Kerrick is charged with voluntary manslaughter in Ferrell's death. He is free on $50,000 bond as he awaits his trial.
An attorney representing Kerrick backed up Monroe's account at a news conference.
- Updated Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS
- Ryan Lochte's new endorsement deal is for crime prevention device
- Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results