CHARLOTTE, MECKLENBURG COUNTY - Charlotte officials and Duke Energy are still considering Charlotte Douglas International Airport as a site for millions of tons of coal ash now at Mountain Island Lake.
The Charlotte Observer reported that a city committee said Monday that Duke is considering the city's counterproposal to the company's original idea of putting ash under the runways.
It's unclear where the ash might go.
An assistant city manager said he hopes to have a recommendation next month. He said the city has not asked Duke what alternative it is considering besides the airport plan.
City officials have looked at sites for the ash north and south of the airport's westernmost runway. Charlotte Douglas owns the land, but it is not used as part of the airfield.
- New BREAKING NEWS: Man stabbed by girlfriend in New Bern
- Updated Blast near Bogota bullring injures 31, many of them police, reports say
- Updated Limbaugh on the news media: 'They're enemies of Trump'
- State high school basketball playoff pairings released
- Police search for suspect in deaths of Indiana teens who vanished on hike