CAMP LEJEUNE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Brig. Gen. Robert Castellvi is taking over as the commander of the Marine Corps installations along the East Coast.
Current commander Brig. Gen. Thomas Gorry relinquishes his command Friday in a ceremony at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune.
Castellvi is a combat veteran of deployments to Panama, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. He has held a variety of command positions and served in the Office of the Secretary of Defense and as a military assistant to the undersecretary of defense for policy in the Pentagon. He comes to the new post after serving as the chief of staff for the I Marine Division.
A native of Chicago, Castellvi earned his commission as a second lieutenant through the NROTC program at the University of Illinois.
- Updated Orlando hospitals won't bill survivors of Pulse nightclub shooting
- Updated 12 killed in Kabul university attack
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer hits the streets
- Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday