GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A new U.S. Census report finds that a North Carolina city is No. 2 in the country for its percentage of recent unmarried mothers, and two South Carolina cities are in the Top 10.
The report says about 36 percent of births in 2011 were to unmarried women.
A number of metropolitan areas had considerably higher percentages of unmarried recent moms. Tops was Flagstaff, Ariz., where three out of four recent mothers were unmarried. Greenville, N.C., was second with 69 percent of births in 2011 coming to unmarried women.
In South Carolina, Myrtle Beach was fourth with two-thirds of new moms unmarried, while Sumter had more than six out of 10 births coming to unmarried moms.
Louisiana, Mississippi and New Mexico were the states with the highest percentages.
- Updated Reports: Leaders of Oregon standoff acquitted
- Updated LAPD: Suspect in custody over Donald Trump's Hollywood star vandalism
- Trump: 'We should just cancel the election' and declare me the winner
- Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew