HUBERT, ONSLOW COUNTY - North Carolina Forest Service officials are still investigating the cause of a fire in Hubert Saturday afternoon.
Forest Service representative Donald Meadows says it took officials until Sunday night to contain the fire that damaged 45 acres of land near Highway 172.
A nearby mobile home community, Pines Mobile Home Park, also had a volunteer evacuation Saturday evening.
A shelter was set up at the Hubert Volunteer Fire Department.
It is not clear how the fire started, but arson, debris burning, lightning or improper ash disposal are possibilities considered in the investigation.
Forest officials remind those who visit the woods to hunt or camp to be mindful of hot substances that could start a fire.
- Updated Kinston welcomes professional baseball back to Grainger Stadium
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay
- Updated Trump: No legal status for undocumented immigrants
- Lochte's presence is desired by Brazilian authorities