HUBERT, ONSLOW COUNTY - North Carolina Forest Service officials are still investigating the cause of a fire in Hubert Saturday afternoon.
Forest Service representative Donald Meadows says it took officials until Sunday night to contain the fire that damaged 45 acres of land near Highway 172.
A nearby mobile home community, Pines Mobile Home Park, also had a volunteer evacuation Saturday evening.
A shelter was set up at the Hubert Volunteer Fire Department.
It is not clear how the fire started, but arson, debris burning, lightning or improper ash disposal are possibilities considered in the investigation.
Forest officials remind those who visit the woods to hunt or camp to be mindful of hot substances that could start a fire.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport