BELVOIR, PITT COUNTY - Authorities have released the cause of death for a Pitt County woman found dead by her parents in the family's swimming pool.
According to the Pitt County Medical Examiner's Officer, 19-year-old Leah Droske died from asphyxia caused by drowning, with her history of seizures being a contributing factor.
Deputies said Droske's parents had just returned to their home on Holland Road at about 3 p.m. Sunday, when they found their daughter's body in the pool. Droske had her bathing suit on, investigators said.
Deputies said Droske's parents last spoke with their daughter on Saturday at about 4 p.m. The investigation is ongoing.
Droske moved from Pennsylvania about three weeks ago, deputies said. She was in the process of enrolling in Pitt Community College and had planned to transfer to ECU to major in business.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen