ROCKY MOUNT, EDGECOMBE COUNTY - Investigators have determined the cause of a house fire that killed a 4-year-old boy and his 63-year-old great-grandfather in Rocky Mount.
The fire at 1713 Springfield Rd. Monday night was accidental, and started when a portable generator was being fueled on the back porch. The gasoline vapors were ignited by an undetermined heat source, according to a spokesperson with the City of Rocky Mount.
Killed in the fire were 4-year-old Isaiah Chase and his great-grandfather, 63-year-old Frederick Fasegha, said the man's wife.
When crews arrived at the single-story home, it was fully engulfed in flames, officials said. The home is considered a total loss.
No one else was inside the home when the fire happened.
Officials said storms Monday night caused power outages in the area.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- New Vandemere Waterfront Park reopens five years after Hurricane Irene destruction
- Stand Up Outfitters 5th annual Colonial paddle board race