CAPE CARTERET, CARTERET COUNTY - A Carteret County woman turns herself into authorities Monday morning, after a warrant was issued for her arrest.
Cape Carteret Police say Hope Riggs of Hubert faces two counts of arson and one count of embezzlement.
Riggs allegedly set two fires at her place on business, Seashore Lighting in Cape Carteret, on April 10. Fire and rescue crews responded, but there was minor damage done to the property, said police.
Twenty-four hours later, fire and rescue crews responded to the business again after a report that there was a vehicle on fire at the back of the business, with Riggs inside, said investigators. However, once first responders arrived, Riggs had been pulled out of the vehicle by good samaratian.
These two arson incicents led investigators to open up an investigation. Cape Carteret Police say during the investigation, they discovered Riggs had stolen more than $62,000 from the business over a four year period.
Investigators believe the motive of the fire was to hide the embezzlement.
A warrant for Riggs arrest was issude on May 27. She turned herself into police with the accompany of an attorney on June 2.
Riggs is being held at the Cartert County Jail under 75,000 bond.
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person
- Updated Perez promises to be Trump's 'worst nightmare'