FAIR BLUFF, COLUMBUS COUNTY - A candidate for Fair Bluff town commissioner has died shortly after casting his ballot.
Columbus County Elections Director Carla Strickland said Mayor Randy Britt confirmed that 59-year-old Mike Hammond died Tuesday.
According to Britt, Hammond had voted and did some election-day campaigning before going home.
Britt said Hammond felt sick while at home and an ambulance was called. The mayor said Hammond died on the way to the hospital.
Hammond was one of three people running for a town commissioner seat. Hammond's brother was running for mayor of Fair Bluff.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump