FAIR BLUFF, COLUMBUS COUNTY - A candidate for Fair Bluff town commissioner has died shortly after casting his ballot.
Columbus County Elections Director Carla Strickland said Mayor Randy Britt confirmed that 59-year-old Mike Hammond died Tuesday.
According to Britt, Hammond had voted and did some election-day campaigning before going home.
Britt said Hammond felt sick while at home and an ambulance was called. The mayor said Hammond died on the way to the hospital.
Hammond was one of three people running for a town commissioner seat. Hammond's brother was running for mayor of Fair Bluff.
- Updated Orlando hospitals won't bill survivors of Pulse nightclub shooting
- Updated 12 killed in Kabul university attack
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer hits the streets
- Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday