FAIR BLUFF, COLUMBUS COUNTY - A candidate for Fair Bluff town commissioner has died shortly after casting his ballot.
Columbus County Elections Director Carla Strickland said Mayor Randy Britt confirmed that 59-year-old Mike Hammond died Tuesday.
According to Britt, Hammond had voted and did some election-day campaigning before going home.
Britt said Hammond felt sick while at home and an ambulance was called. The mayor said Hammond died on the way to the hospital.
Hammond was one of three people running for a town commissioner seat. Hammond's brother was running for mayor of Fair Bluff.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend