BEAUFORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A 10-year-old girl is giving back to her community after she's already loss so much.
Alyssa Willis was diagnosed with cancer this November. Just this September, her father passed away from cancer.
But Alyssa isn't letting any of this news break her holiday spirit. Alyssa is on a mission to raise 1,800 dollars to give to three organizations in the area: The Newport Crystal Coast Hospice House, Snug Harbor and a local animal shelter.
Alyssa is giving the majority of what she raises to the hospice house, because that is where her father spent his last days.
"Their generosity and hospitality was wonderful," Alyssa said.
Alyssa decided she wanted to raise the money to give to these organizations before she found out about her own illness. Now knowing that she has cancer, Alyssa is even more motivated to reach her goal.
She is asking for donations from the public as her Christmas gift this year. To help Alyssa reach her goal, go to www.youcaring.com, search for "Alyssa's Christmas" and click on the "Project Love" page. There you will be able to donate.
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Updated Police name Manchester bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi