Camp Vandemere, Pamlico County - It's been almost three years since Hurricane Irene hit Eastern North Carolina, and Camp Vandemere in Pamlico County is still slowly re-building. A benefit concert spurred by local teens is helping along.
The concert, which is August 2nd at 6pm at Antioch Church in New Bern, will feature three musical groups - The Dixie Strings, The Second Edition Quartet, and the Four in Christ Quartet.
Last year the concert raised about $2,000 to help rebuild Camp Vandemere.
The camp is being repaired fully through fundraisers and donations. Repairs will cost an estimated total of $700,000.
This past year was the first in almost 50 years the camp was closed to campers. For the past two years, staff had been hosting "traditional" camping in tents. This year, they decided to focus all their attention on building new facilities.
Ground breaking is set to occur later this summer on two buildings - the girls dormitory/cafeteria and the boys dormitory.
Staff members say they still need donations, but the community has been outstanding in helping them towards their goal.
- New Second 15th Street widening project meeting slated for Monday
- New ECU to host four-day symposium focusing on migration issues
- Updated Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
- Updated Davis scores big in NBA All-Star Game
- Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations