Camp Vandemere, Pamlico County - It's been almost three years since Hurricane Irene hit Eastern North Carolina, and Camp Vandemere in Pamlico County is still slowly re-building. A benefit concert spurred by local teens is helping along.
The concert, which is August 2nd at 6pm at Antioch Church in New Bern, will feature three musical groups - The Dixie Strings, The Second Edition Quartet, and the Four in Christ Quartet.
Last year the concert raised about $2,000 to help rebuild Camp Vandemere.
The camp is being repaired fully through fundraisers and donations. Repairs will cost an estimated total of $700,000.
This past year was the first in almost 50 years the camp was closed to campers. For the past two years, staff had been hosting "traditional" camping in tents. This year, they decided to focus all their attention on building new facilities.
Ground breaking is set to occur later this summer on two buildings - the girls dormitory/cafeteria and the boys dormitory.
Staff members say they still need donations, but the community has been outstanding in helping them towards their goal.
- Updated Biden aims to reassure Turks of US support after failed coup
- Updated How should you talk to loved ones about their weight?
- Updated Oil billionaire: Trump didn't 'understand' simple fracking question
- Updated Thousands of fish die in Yellowstone River
- Inside the big banks' plan for new digital cash