Marines aboard Camp Lejeune will hold disaster preparation drills this week, with the goal of identifying gaps in the base's readiness plan.
The base will work with multiple agencies including NCIS, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, and other military units. Training this week will also include special hostage negotiation scenarios aimed to push law enforcement and base officials to the limit.
The main scenario will involve an active shooter situation at a tenant command promotion ceremony at Hospital Point aboard the Marine base.
Drills like this held annually, in an attempt to keep security forces sharp.
The drill is meant to find gaps in response plans and shortfalls in resources, and to demonstrate the importance of working with the local community.
The drills will run today though Thursday.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend