Marines aboard Camp Lejeune will hold disaster preparation drills this week, with the goal of identifying gaps in the base's readiness plan.
The base will work with multiple agencies including NCIS, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, and other military units. Training this week will also include special hostage negotiation scenarios aimed to push law enforcement and base officials to the limit.
The main scenario will involve an active shooter situation at a tenant command promotion ceremony at Hospital Point aboard the Marine base.
Drills like this held annually, in an attempt to keep security forces sharp.
The drill is meant to find gaps in response plans and shortfalls in resources, and to demonstrate the importance of working with the local community.
The drills will run today though Thursday.
- Updated Hope that someone gets my message in a bottle - and someone did ... 50 years later
- Updated Deputies looking to identify man wanted for questioning in fraud case
- Updated Mediterranean migrant deaths reach record level in 2016
- Updated Megyn Kelly's epic clash with Newt Gingrich
- Updated Dogs go on poop patrol to sniff out fecal bacteria