AFGHANISTAN - A Camp Lejeune Marine who was a recipient of a Purple Heart was killed in Afghanistan, officials said.
Master Sgt. Aaron Torian, 36, died Saturday from injuries he suffered while conducting combat operations, said military officials.
Torian, originally from Paducah, Ky., was a Purple Heart recipient. He was assigned to the 2nd Marine Operations Battalion, Marine Special Operations Regiment, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command at Camp Lejeune.
His other awards included the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon with gold star, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with three stars, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign, and the Good Conduct Medal.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County