JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Camp Lejeune officials said loud booms that were heard in parts of Eastern Carolina Wednesday night came from training on the base.
Residents in Craven County reported hearing the booms several times each hour Wednesday night.
Camp Lejeune officials said the sounds were made by mortars and artillery as Marines trained for an upcoming deployment.
According to base officials, the booming sounds traveled farther than usual because of Wednesday night's atmosphere and clouds.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County