CAMERON - Investigators say a 31-year-old man has been charged in an assault that knocked out the Cameron police chief.
Moore County deputies say Chief Gary McDonald was attacked Thursday when he stopped to help out a vehicle in a ditch.
Investigators say while McDonald spoke to someone in the vehicle, Jason Brazell sneaked up behind him and hit him in the back of the head.
Authorities say a deputy McDonald called for backup found him unconscious.
Brazell was arrested and charged with felonious assault on a law enforcement officer. It wasn't clear if he had an attorney.
McDonald is the only police office in Cameron, a town of 289 people about 50 miles southwest of Raleigh.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Nate Parker on 'toxic masculinity,' consent and 'male privilege'
- Updated Chocowinity town commissioner arrested for allegedly assaulting a female
- Legendary Watermelon Festival continues today