CAMERON - Investigators say a 31-year-old man has been charged in an assault that knocked out the Cameron police chief.
Moore County deputies say Chief Gary McDonald was attacked Thursday when he stopped to help out a vehicle in a ditch.
Investigators say while McDonald spoke to someone in the vehicle, Jason Brazell sneaked up behind him and hit him in the back of the head.
Authorities say a deputy McDonald called for backup found him unconscious.
Brazell was arrested and charged with felonious assault on a law enforcement officer. It wasn't clear if he had an attorney.
McDonald is the only police office in Cameron, a town of 289 people about 50 miles southwest of Raleigh.
- 'Unprecedented' divide: Democrats fear recession, Republicans see boom
- Volunteers come out to help for Reef Habitat Project event
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures